An Experienced Veteran with a history of service.
Born & raised in Edinburg, TX and graduated form Edinburg High School in 1986. Alongside his wife Dora Denise Gonzalez and sons Joshua and Josiah is an active member of St. Joseph’s Church. Robert graduated from Texas Tech University with a Bachelor of Science degree and later went on to study for his Master’s in Public Administration at UTRGV. He is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran serving in the Gulf War and Desert Storm. He is a lifetime member of the American Legion Post 408. He also developed the very first wind farm in the Rio Grande Valley based in Willacy and Starr Counties bringing the RGV into the age of renewable energy.
As a member of the Edinburg Board, Peña has helped:
• Improve District Fund Balance from $27 to $57 million
• Improve Insurance Fund Balance to $16 million
• Receive “Superior” Financial Integrity Rating of Texas
• Achieve 17 Campus T.E.A. STAAR “Distinctions”
• 4 National Blue Ribbon Award Nominee Schools
• H.E.B. Excellence in Education School Board of the Year
• Region One ESC School Board of the Year
• TASB State School Board of the Year
• Receive $2 million “Cool School Grant” to replace A/Cs
• Receive $24 million “Texas Literacy Reading Grant”
• NO NEW TAX INCREASES to the residents of Edinburg!
In Collaboration with the City of Edinburg:
• Completion of “Safe Routes to School Grant”
• Sam Houston School Cultural Arts Facility
• Janet Ogden Vackar Sports Complex on Doolittle Road
• Joint Parking Facility Agreements by Stadium